Project: Scholarships for Palestinian students
Funded By: Viva Palestina Malaysia
Supervised By: Gaza Destek Association
Implemented By: Educational Forum
In cooperation with: Islamic University of Gaza - IUG and University College for Applied Science.
Targeted Area: Gaza Strip.
Beneficiaries: 60 students.
1. Education is one of VPM’s 4 strategic objectives. It has taken up 35% (RM4.5 million) of our funding to Palestine.
2. In 2013, VPM refurbished 11 schools in Palestine, costing RM1.7 million.
3. The Khazanah Asia (Palestine) Scholarship program was mooted in collaboration with VPM and began in 2013. This equivalent of an Ivy League scholarship now funds 5-6 Palestinian student from Gaza, West Bank and the Diaspora every year.
4. Very few if any NGO provide aid to students to continue with their tertiary education. VPM began our scholarship program for needy students in 8 universities in Gaza from 2014 with an initial funding of RM300,000 provided by Khazanah Nasional. This program has continued every year and a total of 1,600 scholarships has been disbursed.
5. VPM’s 6th KL Palestine Film Festival on 10 Dec 2017, raised more funds for scholarship program.